Thursday, July 29, 2010

YW's Camp

This is my 2nd time in YW's (1st in this ward) but my FIRST time going to YW's camp "as a leader". I wasn't sure what all I'd be doing because the leaders role is much different than a YW's, also this is a new ward and different stake, so camp altogether would likely be different. Well either way, I LOVED IT!! One bummer: we camp in "levels" not as wards, so I was missing a lot of our YW who I only saw on rare occasion. I did get to camp with 4th years and so I had 6 of my 8 mia maids attending camp right there with me. I only knew one leader camping in our site as well, so I had to make friends myself. I love all 5 of the women running the show for 4th year girls! I did decide that camping in levels is very nice for leaders. We do almost nothing, because the stake runs the show! I got to watch everything happen and only jump in to help when asked. We just have fun with the girls and do everything with them.
Here's me with 4 of my girls!

High Adventure day was Thursday and we got to repel 1st, then shoot guns, zip line, and do a rope pull. I had never repelled before and although I'm not afraid of heights, it was a little nerve raking to stand backwards right on the edge, trust the guy holding my rope and lean straight back. Aaaaah! I was smiling when I got to the bottom though, really fun once you start the decent. ;)






Unfortunately not long after the High Adventure fun started, leaders started spreading word of a forest fire that had broke out. We each had to go move our cars around so they could get out quickly if needed. Within a few hours, the stake had received word from the Stake Pres. that we needed to just take down camp. :( We were bummed we couldn't stay and finish the activities: I didn't even get to do the awesome zip line!! But the road up the mountain was closed due to the fire and so no Bishoprics or the Stake Presidency would be able to come up for our spiritual program & testimony meeting. We took down camp and headed right for the stake center about 6pm. We had dinner there in the cultural hall and finished our program there. It was awful to be back in town and still be in stinky camp fire clothes. Specially when the stake presidency showed up looking very clean & smelling nice! (at least they were still kind of casual for us)

Our testimony meeting went way over, thanks to the overwhelming number of "touched" 1st year girls! LOL They were so cute and all couldn't believe how wonderful camp was and how much you can feel the spirit there. We wrapped up around 10:30 pm and then had to pick up all our gear in the parking lot. By 11:30 I was home and in a nice hot shower!! 'Till next year my lovely girls! I can't wait!

No comments: