Tuesday, May 18, 2010

So....we met them

Like I said yesterday, we had an appointment to be at Child Haven at 5pm today to meet the potential parents for both Alexandra & Gentry. Child Haven had been looking for a home for BOTH girls. And while for Allie's sake I wanted them to find a home for both, the selfish part of me hoped they would find a home for only Allie so that I could KEEP Gentry for myself. I would promise to keep contact and let Allie see Gentry often, but really that plan would only be good for me. That would be hard on Allie and confusing, so I guess I was a little relieved to know they might have a home where they'll be raised as sisters. As it should be.

I was nervous walking into Child Haven with Gentry in my arms. I worried I might cry when I saw them or when I had to had her over to them to hold. They had walked out one door when we walked in another, so after a bit of confusion and sitting alone in a waiting room, in they came. Within seconds I thought, wow- they totally look like they could be Allie's & Gentry's Parents! The dad has olive skin a lot like Allie's only a tad lighter, the mom has fair skin but dark brown hair. She is 1/2 Hispanic with a white mother & Mexican father. Allie looks like a mix of them! The mom almost cried when she 1st held Gentry. They've been married for 11 years and trying ever since to have children. They are newly licensed to foster and have not yet had any children in their home. Allie & Gentry would be the only ones. (right now..?) The dad is adopted, so is his mom & I think his grandma too. That is a very good factor in all this.

They understand that Allie has been moved 3 times and this will be her 4th. They do not want to see her hurt again or be the ones to do it. They are thinking really hard to make the decision to take them. They would still like to meet Allie though. Which is understandable. They asked how Gentry is as a baby, but really there isn't much to talk about. She's adorable and sleeps all day. They had lots of questions about Allie and what raising her would be like. I wasn't going to sugar coat it at all, but really Allie is a good kid. Just attention starved, likes control and now probably feeling really rejected.

The longer we visited, the better I felt about about all this. The mom was a little overwhelmed I think and she was shaky the whole time. LOL It was a lot to take in. She said she won't sleep at all tonight and they both have a lot to think about. But they grinned the whole time and seem really excited. Allie would have her own room and also be the oldest of the family and have all the attention except what little bit goes towards her very own sister. Which I'm sure she'd love to share! Best news, they live on the west side not too terribly far from us (20 min. maybe?) so Allie and Carlaya can have their friendship continue. The mom was worried about having a b-day party for Allie in July and her not having any friends to invite. I've got 2 of them and could bring more along. All the kids at school still ask about Allie. :) She was thrilled with that idea.

They haven't gave their official YES yet. So tomorrow afternoon? when Allie flies in, I have no idea where she'll be. I offered to take her for a night or so, but they'd hadn't made up their mind yet (when we talked last week) I know they didn't want her to have to stay a night at Child Haven and they don't want her bounced around with strangers...so I might get a call in the AM to go pick her up! :) We'll be glad to see her again. The kids are thrilled she's coming back.

This new couple is also thinking her staying with us is a good idea. Then they could meet her outside of Child Haven in a more natural environment. Even transition Allie slowly over to their house. That would be easier on them and less scary for Allie. Like starting with a few hours spent alone with them, maybe then a sleep over and then have her move in. We could do that. But we'll have to see what the case workers want to do. The mom & I are on the same page.

I'll keep you posted.