There is always risk in foster care. It is fostering, which is temporary homes for children in need. There can never be a guaranteed adoption. We know that. With Gentry and her birth mom's situation, we knew there might be a good chance to adopt her. Minus one factor. Her sister, Alexandra whom we had for 8 months. She had gone to CA to hopefully be adopted by a family that adopted her 3rd youngest baby brother, from birth. They were struggling a bit and so I was worried that if Allie came back, Gentry might need to be placed with her. The Judge always wants to keep siblings together if possible. And I agree with that.
Unfortunately, Allie is coming back. This week in fact. Lucky for us, we knew that she would be coming back (the day we brought Gentry home we got word). So we knew from day 1 that Gentry would very likely be leaving us. Still hoping to keep her, but knowing that being with Allie would be best.
Although we love Allie to death, and would foster her again....they are hoping to have her placed in a permanent home that would adopt her. We made up our mind the 1st time that she was best to go be with her brother. So we didn't plan on keeping her. We could try to change our mindset, but even Carlaya has agreed; she wants Allie as a best friend, not a sister. I just don't see it being good for either one of them in the long run. Sharing the same spot in the family, the same stages being shared with a sister who isn't your twin. That's hard- for both of them.
So we had to make the choice, take Allie and promise to make it work and adopt her OR be self-less and give up Gentry to a family willing to take both and possibly adopt them. (IF their mother can't get them back)
Today Placement at Child Haven called to say a family has been found and they would like to meet Gentry. BUMMER! Made me sad, but I guess I knew this was coming. So at 5pm tomorrow, we'll be down at Child Haven so she can meet her prospective adoptive parents. IF all goes well, (I can't see why it wouldn't) I am assuming we'll have to hand her over on Wednesday when Allie flies in.
While we're sad to see her go, we know there are babies born drug exposed everyday and needing foster homes. So within the next few weeks as soon as we're ready, we'll go pick up baby #2 (foster child #5)