We got a last minute invite to go to "Pump it Up" on Tuesday night. If you've never been, its a big warehouse type building that is full of jump houses, slides, and more air filled fun! My kids love these places, so I couldn't resist a free night of FUN, Pizza, and of course waiting children!


I was happy to meet Andre' who is the case worker for several waiting Las Vegas children. I had emailed him back and forth several times on 3 different kids. It was nice to put a face to his emails.
I was thrilled and weirded out to meet "Kelsey & Sean". You might remember that we had inquired on them and our home study was in for review at their "H.A.R.T." meeting. (a meeting to decide possible family matches) We were not selected and I thought that was ok. But meeting them in person, made me "want" them again! :) They were lighter in complexion than their pictures portrayed and they were totally fun, normal kids! It was nice to see them in person and see how they act. I think they would be totally do-able, but I was only with them for 2 hours.
Anyway, after I noticed a "Sean" and then found a "Kelsey" running around, I made the connection. It was so funny! I was like, "hey! you're Sean.....and Kelsey!?" There were like, "uh...yeah, how do you know us?" I just said that I had seen their picture, but it was funny how surprised they were that I even knew their name. (on their badge! duh) So I dont' think they fully understood what kind of activity it was.

"Sean" waving to me from the slide

Carlaya and "Kelsey"
Right away they took to me and followed me everywhere. I think I was one of about 3 moms (out of 20-30 adults) that actually played in the bounce houses and slides. Kelsey begged me over and over again to ride with her down the slide. Then Sean wanted in. If I left to go find my own kids, they'd follow me over. Before long, Carlaya & Kelsey had made great friends and Noah & Sean were playing well too. (Noah also befriended many of the older boys). It was fun to see, but almost hard.... Knowing I couldn't be their mom even if I wanted to, and even though I tried.
Kelsey finally asked, "are you here to adopt kids?!"
Me: "well kind of. I'm a foster mom and I hope to adopt someday"
Kelsey: "You can adopt me!"
Me: "well it doesn't work like that..... The case workers help to find the best mom/dads for all the waiting kids. Even if I wanted to adopt you or any other kid, the case workers decide if it's right for the kids. I am young and I have 2 little kids already, so they can be picky with us"
Kelsey: "Well, I'm young......so you CAN adopt me!!"
Me: "ha ha ha, we'll have to see ok."
AWKWARD!!!!!!! I didn't let her know that I DID try to adopt her and they told me NO. But yeah, odd little experience.
I had one other little friend that followed me around. His name is Justin and I believe he said he was 5, but he could be a bit younger? He was so funny and loved to go down the slides on my lap. He then begged for my camera and took tons of pictures, including one self portrait. I thought he could be a possible child for us, until.......I realized he had 3-4 siblings there!

Lastly, I fell in love with a drop dead gorgeous bi-racial boy named Nasir! (too bad I didn't get a picture!) He is going to be a knockout someday. He is only 8 and a sibling of 2 others. But I would take him (and them) home in a second. His older brother, Cyris is 10 and little sister Egypt, is 7. They are all good looking kids and so well mannered. They are mellow and don't appear to be much work at all. Now, only to convince Jonathan. (who opted NOT to go...... grrr) I ate pizza with the 2 boys and their case worker. I just adored them the whole time. Nasir thinks I'm hilarious (not sure why?) and we joked the whole meal. I just love that kid! I would take all 3 in a minute if I thought it was doable.
1 comment:
That would be an interesting little event. Like I said before, though, everything will work out for you guys, and the right kid(s) will come along at the right time.
Post a Comment