Friday, March 04, 2011

A new friend! (#12)

After our phone ringing off the hook with foster calls yesterday, I finally gave in last night and asked them who they had. 11 kids to be placed! They rattled off names & ages to me with any behavioral problems of the kids that fell into our license age (0-5 yrs). I don't need another baby, I don't want a toddler in diapers and I really don't need or want a kid that has been very abused and has some serious issues because of it.
But, they had a 5 year old boy (Noah's age!), well behaved, part of a sibling group that they had to split up because they couldn't find a home for all at this point. Only catch? He had leukemia! So sad. They couldn't tell me much about it except he'd just been to the ER that day for a fever, but was discharged. They "didn't think" he was currently undergoing chemotherapy and he had all his hair.

His name is Jose and he is a sweet boy!


Jonathan went to pick him up last night. Usually I do the picking up and dropping off at child Haven, but I was tired and had a gazillion things to do at home that Jonathan didn't want to do while I was gone. So he decided that going to Child Haven would be easier. ;) Little did he know it would take a while. He was gone almost 2 hours. Jose was very nervous and scared when they told him he'd be going with Jonathan. After many tears, Jonathan and the transition lady decided to leave him be and go get the medical information from the nurse. When they got back he had some time to cool down I'm sure have a pep talk from a worker. He was very nervous, but got in the car with Jonathan anyway.
Jonathan called to give me a heads up that they were on their way. When I heard them pull up I went to the door to meet them. Jose had fallen asleep and Jonathan was just getting him out of the car. He gave me a smile and walked in. I asked him how he was, if he was hungry, thirsty or what not. Jose just shrugged and went to sit on the couch. Looking around, very unsure of the situation. (This kid was just in the ER all day for a fever, then sitting at Child Haven, then picked up by a strange man- Scary, long, horrible day!) I asked if he was tired; looking very sleepy, he said, "no." ;) I said, "Do you want to go to bed?" "no". I asked if he wanted to go see his room or look upstairs and at 1st he wasn't so big on leaving the couch but he let me carry him up.
Noah had be trying hard to stay up for him. He probably fell asleep 20 minutes before they got there. We showed him to Jose, but Noah would not wake up. He was OUT! I took Jose in to take a peek at Carlaya and then showed him his room. Still not wanting to go to bed, I walked him to my room and explained that he could come get me if he was scared or needed anything. He started to cry. I take that as, "Lady, I'm scared out of my mind. I do not like whats happening!"
I tried to console him for a minute and then Jonathan and I suggested watching some TV or a movie. He picked "Shrek" and settled onto the couch, wrapped up in his little blue blanket given to him by Child Haven. I watched for a bit and then asked him if he minded if I go to bed. He was ok then and I kissed him on the head and told him goodnight. Then he started to cry again. Poor kid! I stayed for a minute longer but said he could just come get me if he needed. Jonathan was downstairs watching a movie, so I just asked him to carry Jose to bed once he fell asleep.
This morning at 5:15 am, Jonathan and I awoke to "I have to go to the bathroom!" super loud- maybe just cause we were sleeping..? LOL Jonathan jumped up and ran him in, then he washed his hands & went right back to bed.
He and Noah tried to wake me up around 7. I finally got up with Miss Mya a few minutes later. Jose & Noah seemed to be thrilled with each other. They watched cartoons together, had a bowl of cereal, and have played/watched cartoons all morning.
Jose is a thirsty kid. Maybe it's the medicine but that kid LOVES ice water!! He's had probably 5-6 glasses full already!
_____________________________
Usually kids come from Child Haven with an outfit on, new pj's and one new outfit. Poor Jose was sent home at 10pm in shorts & a t-shirt, and a large ziplock bag full of medicines. No pj's, no clothes. Noah is a 5T, so we're fine. But it is bizarre that he is being treated like an ordinary kid when he has a very serious illness! I looked through the meds this morning and could only make sense of 2 of them. I didn't want to give him anything he doesn't need, so I gave just the 2. Around 10am a transition lady came to check in on him and bring me stuff they had forgotten last night. Like the medication log, calender when to take what, and all things about his current fight against cancer! I looked most of it over, but was still confused so I called the Dr.'s office who has been seeing him. They set me straight on what meds when, what dr. appt's are coming up and so on. Also, one of the meds I had given him- I was NOT supposed to. It lowers his white blood cell count. OOPS! She said it would be ok, but NOT to give it again.
Ok then, glad I was given a kid that's medically fragile and NOT given the training needed to properly care for him. Hopefully at the next dr. appointment, I'll be up to speed.
(I don't know that we'll have him long. He is part of 6 kids. 3 were in foster care, he & 2 with a relative. His other 2 still waiting to be placed and they hope at some point to find a home for him to be with both of them or even a home for all 6. We just have him until further arrangements can be made.)

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

Camille,

That breaks my heart!! It makes me want to do foster care so bad so that a little boy like that can feel loved!! You are so sweet. I hope things go well. If you need anything let me know.