Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A lil' History...

I know I have told most of you this, but I keep getting asked some of the same questions. So, obviously everyone doesn't know everything. :)

Miss Mya's mother walked out of the hospital without being discharged. She did this AFTER leaving an alias for her last name and refusing to give them any of her personal information. Claiming, she didn't have an address. She did not tell any nurses the baby's name. Therefore, Mya's legal name was Baby Girl ______ (mom's alias) but I don't' want to be tracked down by giving too many details, so I won't put the name on here.

Her boyfriend at the time, a black man, was the "supposed" father. An investigation tracked down Mya's maternal grandparents who live out of state and at the time were thought to be raising 3 older siblings. Since then, we've learned that 2 of those siblings (7 & 10) live with their father. The 15 year old sibling still lives with the grandparents. Apparently they are older and overwhelmed with the thought of raising another grandchild at their age, specially a newborn. They told the case worker, they would NOT take Mya.

The "supposed father" must have had some guilt in abandoning a baby in a Vegas hospital and contacted his mother to take the baby. She was the "relative" that we had DNA testing done on. After two weeks the results were back.........Mya is not black. ;) This lady was a bit disappointed and wanted to take the baby anyway. Uh.....No! So our chances of adopting Mya went from 80% to 95%!

At this point we have 57 days under our belt. Courts say you have to wait at least 90 days with NO contact from biological parents before the termination of their rights can be made. (but we might be able to expedite that since there is NO relative or contact being made) Originally the case worker told us that an adoption would be likely by 1 year mark. (fast for the county although it seems like forever, that is good!) If all went as planned. But at her visit a week or so ago, she was much more optimistic. She thinks Mya could be adopted by us by 6 months! Yipee!

Yes, there are still risks. Neither I or the case worker expect the mother or any father to show up and want her. But any relative could come out of the woodwork and ask to take her. The grandparents could also change their mind. Our chances are very very good for adopting her, but time will tell.

Now you know.......

3 comments:

Jonathon and Amanda said...

Thats exciting! Hope it all works out for you.

kory and tina family said...

Thats great! I hope this goes as smoothly as possbible for you guys.

The Gubler Family said...

You are in our prayers. I hope everything works out for you guys. She sure is a beautiful baby. I also LOVE the name Mya.