Sunday, October 24, 2010

So far, pretty good

Thursday night was just fine. Mya slept for 4 hours, waking to feed at 3:30 am and then slept another 3 hours, then about every 3 hours until mid day. So I didn't get up much and even got a morning nap in! After lunch things started to change a little bit. She wasn't sleeping quite as soundly and just seemed so uncomfortable. I tried feeding her and putting her in her bassinet to sleep. She threw up quite a bit of her bottle on 3 different feedings, and would only sleep for about 45 minutes- 1 1/2 hours through out the day.
Poor Mya, she just seemed miserable. One of her main signs of withdrawal at the hospital was excessive sucking. Now here we are almost 3 full days off of methadone and withdrawal is coming back. We'd try to keep a binky in her mouth but once she'd fall asleep it would fall out and she'd wake up freaking out, sucking like crazy and rooting around like she was starving to death. Even in her sleep, every once in a while- you'd see her little hands twitching. Sad! Just like a heroin addict desperate for their next fix, she's was jonesin' for her fix. I hate it!

Friday night was pretty much hell. She fussed every 20-40 minutes. Not hungry, but acting like it. Rooting and sucking out of control. I kept her in bed with me so I could have her binky in and pushed up against my chest to keep it in. Poor Mya was so agitated and seemed gassy, hungry,and just plain uncomfortable. I did the best I could to just get through the night. Lucky for us, Jonathan had Friday off and was able to take the kids to the pumpkin patch for Noah's class field trip. I wasn't getting out of bed for anything!! (except to get Mya a bottle) He came home and took her off my hands so I could nap. By that evening she was already seeming better, but not herself yet.

Saturday night started off bad. Jonathan was up watching a movie and I made him come get her because she just wouldn't stop fussing off/on. Not crying or screaming, just sporadic fussing. When he came to bed, he kept her with him trying what I had, the night before. By about 12:30 I could hear him start to get impatient. She just would NOT go to sleep and stay that way. I got up to feed her and then we decided to push her bassinet into HER room, right across the hall from us. That way we could hear her, but only if she was really crying. I felt bad, but really- there was nothing we could do for her. I put in her binky and let her be.

Several prayers later (please help her body overcome the withdrawal, please let her body rest, please let MY body rest, etc.) she seemed to calm down and slept until 3:30. I got up again and groggily fed her. Miraculously, she didn't wake up again until almost 8 am! Pretending to have been up all night, I got Jonathan to get up and feed her. Hey, he had to be up anyway and get him and the kids ready for church. I stayed home to keep Mya away from all the people and germs, but traded off with Jonathan for the 3rd hour so I could teach YW's.

Today I feel like Mya is back to herself. She's been eating regularly, with little or no spit up. Mya has also been able to nap undisturbed from withdrawals for about 3 hours at a time. Bless her heart, poor little babies shouldn't have to be victims of their terrible parents choices!


Oh and what a chunker! She's gain 9 oz in the last 3 days! Born at 5 lbs 4 oz (apparently- although at one time we were told 5.14, all the paperwork is saying 5.4) she has been gaining 1-3 oz. every day!

4 comments:

Young Family said...

So sad! What a little sweetheart. hang in there, she deserves a good mommy and daddy!

The Johnsons said...

That is so so sad!! An innocent sweet baby that has to go through that. That is awful!! She is a doll though!! Thanks for the pictures.

kory and tina family said...

If parents could only understand the consequences of there choices. So sad she has to go through all that.
What a cutie pie she is!

Bleak's said...

Poor little Mya! And I know the feeling of NO sleep with a fussy baby! :( I know she is having withdrawals and you can't do much but sympathize. But have you given her an Mylicon for being gasy?? Makes the world of difference! I wish I could see her. I still can't get over her head of hair!