After his mission homecoming talk in church on July 11th, my family headed out to camp in Great Basin Nat'l Park. Well at least Amber, Jonathan and family along with Doug & I, did. Doug and my parents were going to come up Monday morning with Clifford (my other bro) but since I was riding solo (Jonathan stayed home to work) I talked Dougie into coming with me on the 2 hour drive from my parents house, so I didn't have to drive alone. Can't say he was much company though, he watched movies on his i-pod for the entire night! Apparently he has 2 years to catch up on!

My brother-in-law, Jonathan got the kids each a Junior Ranger Workbook to complete while there. Good thing, 'cause Carlaya was already complaining she was bored! This girl doesn't care to camp much. She did love this fun little book of games & puzzles though!

I've been to Lehman Caves about 4 times but it had been a while. The kids had never been, so we decided to pay for the tour. We didn't know if they'd behave in there or even get too scared in the dark so we paid 1/2 price for a 1/2 hour tour instead. When it ended (a lot sooner than we thought) the kids were all so bummed we had to leave without finishing the tour. :( sorry guys, we'll do it again next year!



It really is a neat place. If you've never been, I suggest taking your kids! It's about 4 1/2 hours from Vegas though. (near Ely, Nevada)

The kids were begging every day to go on a "hike" of some sort. So we took them on a little one right there at the visitor center. It was blazing hot and the most boring trail ever, but the kids loved it! Here, we're taking a little break in the shade.

One afternoon walking to the bathroom, I spotted this butterfly sitting right on the rocks! You rarely see a black butterfly. I watched it for a moment and when I stepped closer it flew up and then just landed again. Wishing I could take a picture, I ran fast back to our camp site (HOPING it would still be there when I got back) to my delight, there it was, still hanging out! :)
Great Basin Nat'l Park is really pretty and has the coolest camp sites. Several of them with water running through. The kids loved to play in the water and take little nature walks up the river bank.



2 comments:
My kids love camping too.
I can't wait to go up there again. I was bummed we missed that. Hopefully this next year we will get to go.
Post a Comment