Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1st day of School!

On Sunday night, we got out the backpacks and school supplies and all the school clothes! We let the kids go through everything and do a fashion show for daddy. Then they got to fill their backpacks with all their goodies! They love their backpacks. Carlaya's is Tinkerbell, Allie chose iCarly from Disney and Noah choose Spiderman. (He must have run off with his before the pic)

Luckily, Jonathan had a weird schedule for a few weeks and didn't have to be to work until 1pm. So he was able to have breakfast with us: Smiley Face Pancakes with strawberries & whip cream! Even better, he was able to take the kids to school with me and be there to pick them up!
When I was growing up we always took a picture in front of our house all lined up in our new clothes with our backpack, ready to go. I should have taken individual ones too!



As you can see- they thought they were pretty flashy!


They are all getting so big! I can't believe I went from no kids in school full time to all 3! (Well Noah is only 4 days, but still- same time as the girls and at their school)
Carlaya looks HUGE here compared to Teeny Tiny Allie and Noah. I assure you, she is the same size as most all 5 year olds in her class. :)




Ta Da!
I didn't get any good pictures of the girls walking into the school because we were running late and there were like 1000's of people everywhere! It was a nightmare trying to get into her classroom. Miss Bodholt (Miss B) invited all parents into the classroom for the start. She had all the kids sit on the rug and listen to a story. (I don't recall the name because we missed the 1st, but it was about not wanting to go to school and missing your parents- perfect for a kindergartners 1st day!!) Afterwards, she showed them how to make the "love" sign with your hand (like a surfers hand signal, I guess) and told them all to go find their mom/dad and give them LOVE then say goodbye. There were no tears in the class.......except for Carlaya! She tried to be good about it, but we had tears almost everyday of preschool for both years! She is just shy and has anxiety about me leaving.
I gave Allie a hug and kiss and wished her luck and she went right back to the rug like such a brave girl! I had to ask Miss B to give Carlaya a hug; 1- so she'd know that Miss B is nice and will keep her safe, 2- so that Carlaya's back was to me while I left, making it less painful for her! he he he
Meanwhile, it was after 9 (when class starts) and we still had Noah with us in Miss B's class. So Jonathan left me with the girls and walked over to Miss Bean's class. That's right! Both teachers are Miss B & Miss Bean! LOL When I got to Noah's class, Miss Bean still wasn't there. We had to wait a bit for them to get back from the bus ramp. (Preschoolers can all ride the bus for free and so the whole class meets at the bus ramp each day for pick up/drop off) With the waiting, Noah started to get anxious and suddenly wasn't excited to see Miss Bean again and didn't want to stay. Once she was there and go the boys all seated (no girls in the class) I thought Noah would calm down. Some boys were in his class last year too. He cried during her reading and songs! Finally I just had to walk out with him screaming and chasing me to the door!! Mrs. Stevens the class aid, chased him down and caught him at the door.
I didn't feel bad because he knows them both from last year and he LOVES school. He just was being a boob! I knew it would take seconds to get over it.


This was him this morning!
I dropped the girls off and then drove around to the bus ramp where Miss Bean is waiting for the bus and the other classmates. He was excited today and showed no anxiety. As we walked ahead, I stopped to take a picture and so he STOPPED. ;)
He got to Miss Bean and seemed happy as could be to be with her. I smiled and said "good-bye" and he just waved. He LOVES going to school!
Allie did well too for the 2nd day. Carlaya, once again had tears. Today I guess no parents walk into the classroom, no parents even go to the door. They stop you at the gate and make the kids walk into the playground alone! If I'd known, I would have gave her a pep-talk! We were both a little surprised by that rule and she definitely wasn't ready. The "guard" at the gate called for Miss B to come over and help. Miss B said, "Would you like to be my helper today?" Carlaya said yes, through her tears and Miss B carried her off. Yes, she had to carry my crying 5 year old. Oh the drama!! :)

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Yeah!!! Just like your little pepper incident!!!!! :P

kory and tina family said...

Sounds like everyone is adjusting. This is our 3rd week of school. Maddie doesn't want to go to school today. She says she's sick. I told her I would leave it up to her but if she misses she will have lots and lots of homework to do tommorrow. She doesn't believe me. This may be good lesson for her!

Portia said...

Oh...poor Carlaya. When I was teaching I always felt so bad for the poor kindergarteners on the first week. Such a hard time. Is it full day?

Stacey T. said...

They are growing up way too fast!! What kind of class is Noah in?

Camille said...

No it isn't full day. I wish, I think Carlaya would actually be ready for it. She LOVES school and loves to go, just HATES when I leave. LOL

Noah is in their "special" preschool there. For behind kids...LOL

Karen said...

Wow, that was some story. Poor Carlaya. She'll get used to it! :)