Friday, June 19, 2009

An Emotional Morning.....

At 10:45 this morning, I got a 455-_____ call. Any 455- # is from Nevada's Department of Family Services. This particular number, I recognized as "receiving/placement". They call to place a kid and take a kid back. :( I guess I knew right away what it was.

The judge ordered in court this morning to release Giovanni back to his mother. My heart sank a little because I knew he wouldn't be thrilled. (from "stories" he has told us). I was ok with him going home, just not the where part. I knew he would most likely be a short temporary placement, so I've been guarded. I expected to have him go, just not necessarily with mom.

Giovanni was sitting at the kids table in his room reading books.

I said, "Hey buddy, you get to go home!"

He looked very confused. "Where?" , he asked.

I said, "home to your Mom's house".

Poor Giovanni began to cry. "you said I could stay here....."

"Buddy, I said you could stay here as long as you needed.......until it was time to go home. It's time to go home"

"BUT.....you said I can stay! Can I just stay for this many days? (holding up 4 fingers)

He and I cried together and I told him it would be ok.

As I packed his things, he was very anxious and kept trying to pull them back out. He really wanted to stay. :( We sent him with "froggy" (a leapfrog toy we have that he has slept with every night), a few matchbox cars, and a few extra clothes, including the new ones I had bought for him that he LOVED.

I was sick about having to call Jonathan! He was very close to Giovanni and I knew he would take it hard. I called both personal cell & work cell and he wouldn't answer. He was at Citi Center and I knew I had to at least let him know before dropping Gio off. I called the office. They had me call another office. They had me call the General Foreman at Citi Center, who finally said he'd try to find him. Jonathan called right away and of course I started to bawl telling him. I was sad for Gio and knew Jonathan wouldn't take it well. As I put the phone up to Giovanni's ear to talk to Jonathan, he began to cry. It was the saddest thing! They are pretty close!

Jonathan of course, dropped what he was doing and ran off the job site to meet us downtown. Apparently, he was kind of a wreck in doing so and is embarrassed about letting down his "man guard". lol

We met up and he sent his truck home with his apprentice. Jonathan drove with me to Child Haven and we had a big family good-bye right inside the lobby with Mom right there. Jonathan sat with the kids while I went back with the mom to check Gio over (for marks, bruises, etc) and sign him over. We got to the "hall" where I go one way and Mom/Gio go another. I gave him one last BIG huge hug and said goodbye. (no tears at this point) Mom and case worker walk one way and me and ............Giovanni? walk the other. "No, no buddy- you go with mom." :) He seemed nervous but ok.

I think (hope) it WILL be ok.

12 comments:

Amber Lee said...

I so could not have done that

The Baker said...

Camille you and Jonathon are amazing. I'm so glad we got to meet the little guy....I immediately started bawling when I read this....I hope everything goes well. Your family is seriously angels for helping these kids!

Anonymous said...

...that is why my parents only wanted babies. No stories and they were too young to know what was going on. Though we did get some that would talk and to hear their stories was crazy! But on the other hand when the kids would go back to their parents, you'd think, WHY?!? Some of the parents clean up, some don't. We hear how some of the kids are doing now that it's been years and some are good and some aren't. You just have to do the best you can with the time you have with them and know that you helped. I think it's very cool of you and your fam to do this. It's a good experience for your kids too. It can and will be very hard.

Mitz said...

Oh, my heart aches! These situations just kill me! I seriously HOPE the mother will make it right once and for all!!

The Lively's said...

How sad...I feel really bad for that little boy it made me cry! Hope it works out for the both of you!!!

Young Family said...

Good for you for taking him. You never know what kind of influence you have made in his life. :)

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You guys are AMAZING. I can't imagine the emotional ties you develop with these little kids so fast and then to have to send them back. He was lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

oh that story made me cry! that must have been so hard for both of you, i hope things are okay at his home. How sad!

Karen said...

:( We will pray for Gio!!! and you guys! Bless your little hearts! (I should say big hearts!)

Becky said...

What a blessing to have such a sweet spirit with you even though it was for a short time. The love you have for the foster kids you get is amazing.

Bethany said...

You and your family are so special! Megan told me about this so I had to come to your blog. The world DEFINITELY NEEDS people like you and your husband. You are doing such a Christ-like thing. I really admire you:)

-Bethany

Tessa Marie said...

Wow, I'm sorry Camille. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. You guys must have made quite an impression on Gio though, and I'm sure he;'ll always remember you and the love you showed him.