Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our trip to California

Thursday night we drove to LA to spend the weekend at Disneyland and California Adventure. When we were buying tickets at the gates, the lady asked how old Noah was because we were wanting 4 tickets. When we told her "3", she just smiled and said "ok". I asked her if I could then say he was 2? LOL She smiled and said, "I can't say anything". So tempting! But Jonathan told her he just wouldn't feel right, so we paid the $60 for his ticket and walked away. Within 20 minutes we were questioning ourselves. Isn't there some kind of "Happiness Guarantee"?! Why does my 3 year old BOY- hate Disneyland!! We jumped on the Snow White ride 1st because there was no line. Yes it does go into the dark and somewhat scary noises, and yes the evil witch pops out yelling, but come on- it's a ride! He screamed bloody murder! Jonathan had to walk out of the Pinocchio line (the next ride) as we approached because Noah was screaming so loud and clawing Jonathan 1/2 to death! LOL We thought the carousel would cheer him up but he cried the whole time and begged to get off. Don't even mention the Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride! Now way, I stood with him while Jonathan and Carlaya rode it. We realized that one of us would be stuck standing with him while the other one traded off riding with Carlaya. What a bummer. What a waste of money!! He did ride a few of the very very lame rides and kind of enjoyed them. But all day he whined and begged to go back "home". Seriously!? While waiting in line for the Roger Rabbit ride (very similar to the Snow White/Pinocchio ones- only not really scary) he cried and cried. It was embarrassing! Everyone around us was totally annoyed and looked at us like awful parents making our baby of a son ride the dumb thing. After trying so hard to convince him that it won't be scary and I'll hold him and he can close his eyes if he wants too. I finally threatened him and said, "if you don't stop your crying, I'll take you out and spank you". What does he say? "mom, spank me!" ????LOL So then he spent the last 3 minutes in line begging Jonathan or I to take him out and spank him. he was begging seriously for a spanking! How sad is that?! He'd rather just be spanked than have to ride the dumb ride. Well we rode it anyway, he survived but hated it. Don't you think we should get our money back though?! Come on, if your kid says, I don't like Disneyland....you shouldn't have to pay! :)
During dinner, we all got super tired and were ready to call it a night. There were still several rides we wanted to hit, but it was already 8:45pm and we were exhausted. Jonathan said he was done and we knew that Noah was done. When we got back to our room I assumed Carlaya would be ready to give up too. While I was in the bathroom she got her pants on, shoes/socks and had her jacket on with her Minnie ears! She was ready to go and getting impatient. I couldn't let her down- so I changed too and she and I headed back to the park. (10pm!) As we went through the gates, she threw her hand in the air and said, "Space Mountain, here we come!" I told her that it was a fast ride and in the dark. She wanted to try it out anyway. Since it was late and she was tired, I ended up holding her for the full 45 minute wait- which was SO hard! I was beyond exhausted! But we rode the ride, she screamed out with glee and surprise a few times, but never cried. When we got off the ride, she says, "that was AWESOME!" :) *worth the wait I guess! She and I ran to 4 more rides. We would have done more, but it was MIDNIGHT and the park was closed! She was bummed, but tired and we walked back to catch our shuttle. We got to our room at 12:35 am and were both asleep by 12:37 I swear! I had a blast with my little adventurous thrill seeker!
Saturday morning we were back at the front gates to play in California Adventure. Noah cried and said, "I don't' want to go to Disneyland!" We explained that this was different and hoped the day would go better. It did, but barely. He still cried in every line and tried to run if we put him down. But all the extremely lame waist of time rides- he loved! I guess that's good. We feel like we definitely got more of our money's worth in California Adventure! We even saw Travis Barker on the lamest ride of the day- the caterpillar super slow flat coaster. He got off with his wife and kids just before our turn! LOL
Again, Carlaya rode every ride that her height allowed (most the big ones) and was really bummed to find out that the biggest coaster in the park was 6 inches above her. She did try the Hollywood Tower of Terror! I knew it would be scary, but she vowed to try it with me then go again with her daddy. The inside is scary before you even start so that spooked her. She likes fast and the dark, but not scary stuff. So she had me hold her. Then we entered the 1st room that is spooky and she cried. I had to carry her all the way through and as we went to walk into the elevator (which we know drops at some point) she really cried, wanted on my lap or off the ride. I can't hold her during it and we'd just waiting 30+ minutes for the ride. I told the lady we were fine and were staying on. Again, I got that look that I'm a mean/bad mom. LOL Too bad. She wanted this ride- she's getting it! :) If you've ridden it, you know. If not, well it flies up to a floor (while you are sitting, strapped in) the doors fly open and it's spooky, & says some scary stuff. Then shuts the doors and flies up higher, to open to a mirror and you wave goodbye as you watch your reflection turn totally spooky. Then, yup we drop- who knows how many floors. So scary!!! The worst feeling ever in your belly. I was dying laughing! Specially knowing my 5 year old is screaming next to me. A teen girl on the other side was also holding Carlaya's hand trying to help me keep her in her seat! After the drop, we fly back up- higher this time. The doors fly open- and we're looking outside- 7-8 stories high! Then yup- we drop again, at a crazy speed! Then back up, doors open again to the outside, then drop. It does this several wonderful times. I was dying, let me tell ya!! As if finally ended Carlaya clung to me in tears. I felt so bad- I had no idea it was THAT intense. Luckily we saw goofy right as we walked out! Seeing him made her smile. Unfortunately her dad had to ride alone. There was NO WAY she was getting on that dumb ride again!

3 comments:

The Baker said...

OK that is hilarious (not really) about Noah. Lincoln loved it last time so hopefully it will be the same this time. Although you are better than us, I am not planning on buying him a ticket. He just turned 3 for crying out loud! And especially after reading that I am not buying him one....repent for me OK?

Amber Lee said...

You should have known better than to put him on the Snow White ride! I wouldn't even let Bailey ride that one when she was 4 because I knew she'd be scared. No wonder his whole day was ruined.
I'm sad that we didn't do the scary ride at C.A. That sounds AWESOME!!! I remember seeing it and thinking we couldn't do it because of the kids. I'll have to remember it next time! PICTURES???!!!

Bleak's said...

I still think that it's funny Noah hated it! That's too bad! Tanner talks about going all the time. But he's kind of a chicken too so maybe it wouldn't be fun either? I don't know. Oh, and for our Anniversary, that was the day mom flew in. So we had her watch them. We went to dinner and a movie. She bathed the kids and put them to bed and everything. It's the first time anyone else had done that. It was kind of weird but nice. We don't get out much!:) Usually it's never or only one of the other!