Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Noah goes to Preschool!


All ready to go with his new Spiderman backpack and matching hat...

Today was Noah's 1st day of Preschool. I know you are thinking it is a little late in the year to start, but we have been working with the CCSD to get him enrolled in "Child Find". (a lot like Head Start) A FREE, preschool program at the local Elementary for kids that are developmentally behind. Most of you know that Noah's speech is well, challenged. :) I can understand 99% of what he says and so can Carlaya. Jonathan- 60% (if that) and every one else.....not so much. So we knew he was needing some speech help.

His little friend from nursery is enrolled in the program and his mom suggested we see if Noah was eligible. Who can turn down FREE preschool that is 4 days a week!

After having an assessment by a school nurse and a speech therapist, they recommended he be seen by a CCSD child psychologist and a hearing test be done. His hearing turned out ok and the psychologist said he was "normal" for the most part like all 3 year old boys are. But he doesn't socialize with kids his own age as well as younger kids and babies. Maybe because the kids his age have no clue what he is talking about?! :)

In order to qualify for their FREE program you have to have more than one thing wrong (or developmentally behind) We knew he had speech issues, but secretly hoped they'd find some other little thing so he could attend. he he he

Our final assessment overview hearing.....? was Saturday the 18th and for whatever reason they determined he is eligible and could start right away!! He is even eligible for transportation meaning a "short bus" LOL would come to our house to pick him up and drop him off. The bus will start Monday, but they said he could start right away if I am willing to drive the 1 mile to the school to drop him off/pick up. :)

Surprisingly he wasn't shy at all and showed no signs of hesitation going in. The classroom was so cute and full of fun toys. All the kids in his class are boys but one girl and all are his age. 9 total however only 6 were there today, including his little friend William. When I pulled up the bus ramp to pick him up he saw me and yelled, "MOM!" and ran as fast as he could up to where I was (even with the teachers chasing him and yelling for him to stop) he he he

I think he had a great day. He felt like such a big boy and just keeps telling us the things he did!!
I'm hoping tomorrow will go as well.

I'll post a picture of him boarding the bus next Monday......

he is crying as we walk away and most of his new friends board the bus home

3 comments:

Young Family said...

Oh how cute! That is awesome that he got in this program, isn't it great! I actually work for the same type of preschool in Reno. I am the Speech Therapist for the preschool. I am sure that Noah will do great and make so much progress!

kory and tina family said...

We have something similar here that my neighbor participatews in. She and her son LOVE it. That's great he had a wonderful time on his 1st day. So 4 days a week. Whats mom going to do with all her spare time? (hehehehe)

Amber Lee said...

Yay, Noah! How exciting! Colby gets to start next year--I can't wait--he's going to love it!