Wednesday, August 31, 2011

1st day of School!

Our first day of school was Monday, August 29. The kids were so excited and more than ready to go back to school. They were also a little nervous. This year Carlaya & Noah are going to a Charter School which is further from home. It is a brand new school, so not only are they new but so is every other kid and all teachers. 4 little boys from Noah's preschool class at the Elementary last year are all going to this new school. He lucked out and got 2 of them in his class! Carlaya knows one of the little boys older brothers who is her age. Luckily she and him are in the same class too. AND their mom is the new art teacher. So they each went to school knowing only 1-2 kids and one teacher.

Here's Miss Smartie Pants Carlaya SO EXCITED for School!
This is our 1st time doing the uniform thing and this diva was not happy....at first. She's grown to love them and is so excited about all of her outfit options.







A lot of parents were just dropping off, which is what the school requested to reduce total chaos on the 1st day at a new school. They did have teachers & staff everywhere outside and right at the curb to greet kids. But as I pulled up closer I could tell Carlaya was really nervous. She's pretty shy too and I hated to just trust them to make her feel ok. So I darted out of the lane and parked so I could walk her up. I'm so glad I did too! It was really hard to find her teacher. We've never met her or seen her so, like most everyone else, we were reading their signs to see who's who. When we finally found her Carlaya was smiling and happy with the cute girls already in her class line. Then we spotted Vicente, a cute boy from kindergarten she know pretty well. One class line over, a very good friend of hers also from Kindergarten, Kiera! Then!!, she noticed Kaitlyn a girl from our 1st ward and from swim lessons. Total confidence took over when she realized she was not going to be all alone here.

We kissed goodbye and I left her in line with her school supplies, all ready to go.

Next up, MR. Noah! He's been in 1/2 day preschool at the Elementary for 2 1/2 years- so school is nothing new to him. The only difference is this year he won't have Friday's off. Kindergarten is still 1/2 day and he goes in the afternoon. I parked to walk him up to his line. There is only two 1/2 day Kinder classes so it was no big deal, no major chaos. They did let parents walk in behind the classes and see the kids in their classroom. He was cute watching the teacher and then she showed each of them to their desks. That is new to him! In Preschool it was a lot more play and free time. I 'm curious how he'll do this year.



Being it's a new school, pick up and drop off times are a total nightmare while they are trying new procedures and trying to get all parents to cooperate. I was warned by Noah's teacher that 1/2 day morning kinder pick up was bad, so prepare for a long afternoon pickup. I came with snacks for the kids and cold drinks.

I got in line and 20 minutes later I had only moved 10-12 car lengths! 50 minutes later, I pulled up to the school finally and found my kid baking in the 106* heat! I knew everyone was doing their best, but I was disappointed at their poor judgement to have the kids waiting outside that long with NO drinks. They could have brought out water, or even had them wait in the cafeteria and radio who was up.?? I dunno. My kids were hot, tired and complaining that they HATE the new school. (when really I think the end of the day just ruined their good memories of the day)


Do they look hot & miserable or what? LOL Poor kids!

1 comment:

Laura Howe said...

Poor Noah! :( he's so cute, and I just love Carlaya!