Monday, May 05, 2008

Room Makeover! (not quite done)






Well I have been so bored lately and desperately wanted something fun to do. Jonathan suggested I get a hobby. Duh, I love shopping that is my hobby! :) But seriously, I love to buy things for the house, or fix, rearrange or re-do things. So on Saturday after a long nap (I swear because of bordem) I talked him into letting me take on the guest room/office. (He doesn't like my projects, because at some point he gets roped into it) LOL
So at like 4pm Saturday afternoon we get on Behr.com to look at paint colors and play with some ideas. Our spare room has been bright firetruck red on all walls since we moved in (painted by the last owner. Although I didn't mind it, it has become overwhelming and dark. PLUS we had to match everything to go in there. It all had to be black, white or red. (or so we felt) After we decided on some colors, I got to thinking about how cluttered it was and how we could re-arrange. We've had a TV mounted on the ceiling which helped keep things clean, but we had 3 cords hanging down which was so tacky! I noticed some cheap entertainment centers at DI a couple of days ago, so he agreed to let me go shop for that too! I ran to DI and they still had one I had seen previously that was in really great shape and they only wanted $45. But I know Jonathan and he wouldn't want me to spend that much- at least not right now.... So he told me to offer them $30. I am NOT a barderer and I hate doing that. But I knew that was the only way I could buy it is to talk them down at least like $10. Luckily I am in there enough- he he he that the manager reconized me and he said I have never asked down on anything before so he'd give it to me for $25!! Yipee, it pays to be a freqent thrifty shopper! LOL
Since I took my dumb car not thinking, I ran to Home Depot for the paint and then home to start right away. I made Jonathan take his truck back down for the pick/up.
I painted from 6:30pm-12:15 am!!(by myself, because Jonathan refuses to paint!) I had to put 2 coats of primer over the red and then still 2 coats of blue on 2 walls and 2 coats of cream (antique white) on the other two. If I could do it over I would have put the 2 blue walls where the cream is and visa/versa. I thought seeing the blue on the wall as you walk in would look best but I thought the bed would fit another way. Now as you walk in you just look towards the bed and it is just cream. I may put a thick, blue, horizontal stipe along the cream to tie in the blue, but we'll see.
NOW, I just have to get some cool art on the wall and find a bedspread that will tie in the colors. Eventually we want to put a loveseat under the 3 window to fill the emptiness. (the room is 15 feet long)

4 comments:

The Roe Family said...

it looks great. projects are so fun. i refuse to paint cause i get sick of it so when i say to mike lets do a project he ends up missing for a couple hours.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I love home projects! I have a few up my sleeve that I want to do soon! The first is our master bedroom!

Wes hates my projects, too. He's a much better painter than me so I rope him in to doing it!

Brandon, McKell & Ryker said...

I love the blue wall. I have had one in my kitchen for a few years now and I love it. I will say this again, and i do mean it, we have to get together soon!

Bleak's said...

It looks like a totally different room! I like it a lot better! Well hurry and get your butt out here. I have like 4 rooms that I want to paint. And one for sure I am putting strips on. So it's take time... and I won't have it in a month, when we are actually in our new place. And Tanner has been wanting to see you, Carlaya, and Noah. I said you'd have to fly in a plane to see us. Now he screams "HI" to you guys after every plane that flies over! May 31 is HOPEFULLY the date we will start moving in, if not it will be the 2nd or 3rd. So get packed! :) The zoo and children's museum will be waiting for your kids! :)